Hall of Fame For Great Americans

Booker T. Washington elected to the Hall: 1945

Click to Tour the Hall of Fame

on the Bronx Community College campus of the City University of New York (CUNY). It was erected in 1901 to honor Americans who have made signal contributions to the welfare or culture of the U.S.

It consists of a semicircular, open-air colonnade, with a massive substructure, designed by the American architect Stanford White and overlooks the Harlem River. Bronze portrait busts by distinguished American sculptors line the colonnade.

At the time, elections to the Hall of Fame were held every five years and were conducted by a committee of prominent American representatives of the 50 states. Requirements included that the candidates had to have been dead at least 25 years and been U.S. citizens. Agreement of 3/5ths of the committee was necessary for election. The plan allowed for 102 men and women in total to be selected.

Sculpture by Richmond Barthé.

Read the NY Herald Tribune's article on the Unveiling Ceremony, which includes the text of the tribute by President's Truman read at the unveiling.

This Hall of Fame along with the phrase, "From Slave Cabin to Hall of Fame" are also inscribed on the 1946 Booker T. Washington half-dollar.

Take an online Tour of the Hall of Fame here

image credits: Bronx Community College